Monday 20 April 2009



After shooting on the normal slide film it all came back to me, the joy of the photograph, what it is to reproduce what we see and represent it in the way we want. The vivid contrast and saturation of the slides gave more of a richness to the images. As mentioned before I also wanted to experiment with the layering process using the 'in date' film which I did, but the correctly exposed film wasn't thin and bleak like the out of date stuff, it was too heavy. The images would not merge how I wanted them to, they wouldn't really merge at all.

One point I made in my proposal for the final year was to become more conscious and understand what I was doing, so this next step was almost about this for me as well as finding a way of furthering my ideas.I have been interested in using larger format cameras for a while as they allow for greater control when photographing. A big step for me and my work was taking the move up to 5x4 large format photography.

Whilst thinking about how I could develop the previous processes and ideas I toyed with the idea of splitting the exposure time whilst shooting, so I was thinking along the lines of setting up, taking a light reading and then splitting the exposure time in half and then exposing the film for that given time. So only giving the negative half of its required exposure innitially and then later completing it with whatever I wanted, whenever necessary, e.g. a different viewpoint or at night rather than in the day. I felt that the large format camera was appropriate as it gives a lot more freedom in terms of aligning different frames and removing film after the first half of the exposure.

These photographs are two of the initial shoots and were the two I displayed in our Interim Show, a sort of warm up for the Degree Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment